Each year, SRHE works to advance understanding of higher education by supporting research and researchers in the field.   We are a learned society with charitable status (No. 313850).  We receive no government funding and rely on income from membership subscriptions and sales from our publications.

We have ambitious plans for the coming years — to expand our support for new and established researchers through awards, to encourage collaboration through increased network activities, to promote and disseminate research through our conference and publications, and to further develop our work in the policy arena.  Research into higher education aims to improve provision, and provide a positive impact for students, faculty and wider society.

Your generosity will help us to continue this important work. There are several ways to support us:


Help the Society for Research into Higher Education by donating today!  A link has been set up with the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), so you can make a single donation or set up a monthly or annual contribution.

All donations go directly to our activities in support of higher education research and researchers.

UK Taxpayers are encouraged to increase the value of their donation (at no cost to themselves) by declaring eligibility for Gift Aid on the form.

easyfundraising is an organisation which partners with retailers to donate part of your spend when online shopping to a cause of your choice, at no additional cost to you. Click here to learn more and sign up to support SRHE for free.

Your support will be acknowledged on our cause website, but if you would prefer to remain anonymous, you can indicate this in your personal settings. Do please consider signing up to easyfundraising!


Do you want to support research into higher education and improve provision for future students?  Consider leaving us a legacy.  A gift in your will, no matter how large or small, is one of the best ways in which individuals can help the Society.  Few of us have capital to spare during our lifetimes, and legacies offer the opportunity to leave a lasting benefit for higher education.

The Society is a small and efficient charity, and your legacy will make a big difference to the work we do, and will help our sustainable growth and security. As a donor, legacies to charities are exempt from inheritance tax (details provided below).

You can find more information about legacy donations generally at  Home – Remember A Charity.

What type of gift can you leave in your will?

The two most common types of gifts in wills are:

Residuary gifts: Leaving a percentage, or sometimes all, of an estate after all other payments have been made.

Pecuniary gifts: Leaving a specific sum of money

You may also wish to leave a particular item, also known as a  specific legacy, which can either be sold or used by the recipient.  Should you wish to leave a specific legacy, we would recommend  contacting our team (see last page for contact details) so we can  discuss your wishes and the suitability of the gift.

If you are looking for guidance on how to write your will, you can  visit Citizens Advice (www.citizensadvice.org.uk), the Institute of Professional Willwriters (www.ipw.org.uk/), or Will Aid (www.willaid.org.uk) for further information. If you are a member of a trade union, you may find that the union offers a free will writing service.

We recommend that you explore all options with your solicitor. It is important that the gift is described precisely in your will so that the executors are clear on what you intended.

Inheritance Tax and Tax Relief

Leaving a gift to charity in your will can help reduce, or even remove, the tax burden on your estate. You can reduce the taxable assets of your estate and cut the amount of inheritance tax due. You can find more information about the Government’s Charity 10 legislation on the HMRC website. Your solicitor will be able to explain how the Inheritance Tax rules apply to you and your particular circumstances.

Charities registered in the UK are exempt from Inheritance Tax so a gift in your will can reduce the taxable value of your estate, whilst benefitting a good cause.

What information do I need in order to include a gift to SRHE in my will?

To include SRHE in your will, you will need to take the following details to your solicitor:

Charity Name: The Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE)

Registered charity number:  313850

Registered address: Society Building, Regents Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London N1 9RL United Kingdom

An example of wording you could use:

‘I leave [my, or, [X]% of my residuary estate] to The Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE), Society Building, Regents Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London N1 9RL UK, registered charity number 313850, for its general charitable purposes. I declare that the receipt of an authorised officer shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my personal representative.’

Contact Us

Thank you for thinking about remembering SRHE with a gift in your will.

Your will is personal and it’s entirely up to you if you wish to share this information with SRHE. If you do choose to tell us, we’d love to be able to thank you properly and to let you know how your gift will make a difference.

If you have any questions, or would like help with the process, please contact Dr Clare Loughlin-Chow on clare.loughlin-chow@srhe.ac.uk